The deadly herbicide Paraquat was banned last May, but there’s new evidence the poison is still being used.
Island Veterinary Services is warning dog owners to keep a close eye on their pets.
Sunday, a dog was brought into the clinic with the telltale signs of Paraquat poisoning; vomiting and rapid, shallow, pumping breath. The animal was put to sleep Tuesday. (29 November)
Island Vets said though Paraquat has been banned, it still exists on-island, and there are still some willing to use it to poison pets…
“One side of the problem has been solved by banning the import of Paraquat, but there’s still an existing stock of Paraquat on the island and it’s still being used for these horrible purposes,” said Dr. Ioana Popescu. “We’ve seen a few, but not a lot of accidental poisonings from Paraquat, but 99% of these are malicious poisonings.”
She told Cayman 27 this case of poisoning happened in West Bay, on Yates drive off Adonis road. It’s an area where Paraquat poisonings have happened in the past.
She recommends to keep your dogs on a leash, and not to let them eat anything they find on the ground as it may be laced with the poison.