Premier Alden McLaughlin announced Friday (7 October) a deal in principle had been reached to purchase the land adjacent to Smith Barcadere from developers.
Bronte developments plans, submitted last week, calling for a three-storey, 24-unit condo development on the site caused outrage and disbelief in the community.
“Government has indeed reached an agreement in principle with Bronte Development Limited, to purchase the property adjoining Smith Barcadere for a price that will not exceed the cost the developer has incurred in the purchase of the property and the cost incurred in the planned development,” said Mr. McLaughlin. “Government will seek to fund the purchase and the appropriate development of the property through the Environmental Protection Fund, and will bring a motion to accomplished the task.”
Mr. McLaughlin implored those on both government and opposition benches to support the purchase.
“I hope we will be able to rely on the votes of all members of the house, so that the country will see us all joining together in a unanimous ‘yes’ vote to secure this property for public use in perpetuity,” said the Premier. “I am certainly proud that we can now add the acquisition and future enhancements of this property at Smith Barcadere as one of our achievements.”
Cayman 27 will have full team coverage from reporters Joe Avary and Reshma Ragoonath on tonight’s newscast.